Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rosemary's Tea Biscuits

Well I don't have a lot going on in my life that's worth blogging about at the moment. However I always enjoy catching up on my friends blogs, even if it is only basic entries. So I thought I'd follow my friend Teresa's example and show you a photo of my latest baking effort.

As a kid I used to love baking and was quite good at it. In fact I was the only one mum would let in the kitchen as Marea had not yet discovered her talent for cooking (aka Marea could burn water) and the boys had no interest. So I remember baking biscuits and slices and telling James to go away when he would steal the uncooked mixture :-) te he

Anyway, I digress. So many years passed where Ange was all "anti girly stuff" and promptly lost interest in things like baking :-( However I am now a good housewife and am so sad that at night I find myself reading through my cookbooks thinking about what I might bake next :-) te he.

Well I'm pretty sure Paul hasn't been that stoked with my efforts so far. I've never been able to bake cakes or muffins and I can never get them to rise. I've made 2 banana cakes and a banana loaf in the past couple of months and while both tasted quite nice, they sure didn't rise very much :-) When I stayed with Shanan & Derilene before the wedding, Derilene suggested I use an electric beater for the whole thing to get more air into the mixture. Unfortuantely due to the whole losing my job thing, I haven't been able to buy one yet.

Next I wanted to bake some chocolate chips biscuits as I love them. However I didn't have some of the ingredients so I made "chocolate" biscuits instead. Well they went down like a cup of sick - they weren't very nice and a bit dry. We didn't even finish eating them!

But I have finally created something nice! Yesterday I went shopping and stocked up on baking essentials. Last night I made some "Rosemary's Tea Biscuits" out of my "Quick 'n' Easy" baking cookbook and they are yummy :-) Yay!! Finally.

Unfortunately it's hard to buy butter here that has measurements on the side. If you do find them then you don't really get them with 50g markings, only 100g. And those ones are more than twice the price of the blocks without markings. So I can't justify that kind of money at the moment. So when I get a job I am going to buy a set of kitchen scales so that I can properly measure my butter. Right now I just guess and that makes for pretty inaccurate butter levels :-) Because of this the biscuits are a bit crumbly - but they still taste good :-)

Anyway, here are the leftover biscuits that I baked. Paul and I had some for dessert last night and he took some for lunch today (oh, and I had one for morning tea too - mmmmm)


The recipe for anyone that cares is:
200g butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup custard powder
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt

Melt butter in saucepan large enough to hold all the ingredients. Remove
from heat, add sieved icing sugar and mix in well. Sift custard powder,
flour, baking powder and salt into saucepan. Mix well to combine.
Take tablespoons of mixture and roll into balls, put on greased baking tray. Flatten balls
slightly with a fork. Bake at 190 C for 13 minutes till slightly coloured.
Makes 20

Next up I'm thinking about baking either a carrot cake, because that is my favourite!!!! Or some ginger crunch in honour of my lovely mum, as that's her favourite (and brings back many happy childhood memories - my mum is the best cook in the whole world!!!). Or some tangy lemon slice as it tastes really nice! I just might have to bake something in honour of the browns coming to stay in April too :-)

But for now I am getting back to work as I have heaps to do!!!

Have a fab day!!

1 comment:

Trees said...

Yeah Ange! ROCK THE BAKING! Look forward to photo's of your future efforts;) These look so tasty!